THE BITTER OLEANDER PRESS LIBRARY OF POETRY AWARD 2017
CONGRATULATIONS!!! to Austin LaGrone of Stockholm, Sweden whose manuscript Call Me When You Get to Rosie's has won The Bitter Oleander Press Library of Poetry Book Award for 2016. Judging this year's competition was our editor, Paul B. Roth. Mr. LaGrone's book has been published by The Bitter Oleander Press on the first day of Spring, 2017.
GUIDELINES FOR THE 2017 COMPETITION
• An award of $1000 plus book publication of the winning manuscript is open to anyone writing in the English language. It is not open to friends, employees or relatives of The Bitter Oleander Press.
• Translations are not eligible for this award.
• You may send your entry through the US Postal Service, but do not send it certified with a return-request receipt. Include a stamped self-addressed postcard for receipt notification purposes.
• Online submissions will be allowed through our SUBMITTABLE format when the competition opens on May 1st, 2017 until it ends on June 15th, 2017 right here:
• For posted entries, manuscripts must be typed and range between 48 and 80 pages of poetry in length.
• Please use only binder or paper clips. No plastic sheets, hard cover binders or loose-leaf binders.
• Manuscripts should be paginated and include a table of contents.
• Poems having previously appeared in journals, chapbooks or anthologies should be included on a separate page listing those acknowledgments.
• Include two (2) cover sheets if posting your entry through the US Postal Service:
One with title and author's contact information.
The other stating the title only.
• For Online entries include only a title page with no name or address.
Our SUBMITTABLE format will provide that information for us.
Author's name must not appear anywhere else in the manuscript.
• If mailed, manuscripts must be postmarked between and including the dates of May 1st, 2017 to June 15th, 2017.
Any early or later entries will be disallowed and entry fees returned.
• Although results will be posted on our web-site and Facebook page, you may include a self-addressed stamped business size envelope (SASE) for notification of result if you're submitting by regular mail.
• Manuscripts must include an entry, reading, and processing fee of $28.00. Checks or money orders in U.S. funds made out to The Bitter Oleander Press:
• Payment for Online entries may be made through our submittable Format for $28.00 as well when the competition commences on May 1st, 2017.
• Due to the high volume of submissions, all manuscripts will be recycled except for the winning one
• All entrants may expect notification early in November of 2017
• Winning entry may expect publication of their book in late Spring of 2018
• The procedures for this Award follow the strict guidelines set forth by CLMP's (Council of Literary Magazines & Presses) Contest Code of Ethics:
• CLMP's community of independent literary publishers believes that ethical contests serve our shared goal: to connect writers and readers by publishing exceptional writing. We believe that intent to act ethically, clarity of guidelines, and transparency of process form the foundation of an ethical contest. To that end, we agree to (1) conduct our contests as ethically as possible and to address any unethical behavior on the part of our readers, judges, or editors; (2) to provide clear and specific contest guidelines--defining conflict of interest for all parties involved; and (3) to make the mechanics of our selection process available to the public. This Code recognizes that different contest models produce different results, but that each model can be run ethically. We have adopted this Code to reinforce our integrity and dedication as a publishing community and to ensure that our contests contribute to a vibrant literary heritage.
Any other questions concerning this Award may be forwarded to us by e-mail:
OUR FIVE PREVIOUS WINNERS:
---2012---Patty Dickson Pieczka for Painting the Egret's Echo
---2013---Tom Holmes for The Cave
---2014---Katherine Sánchez Espano for The Sky's Dustbin
---2015---Christien Gholson for All the Beautiful Dead
---2016---Austin LaGrone for Call Me When You Get to Rosie's
PLEASE SUBMIT ALL REGULAR MAIL ENTRIES TO:
The Bitter Oleander Press Library of Poetry Award--2017
The Bitter Oleander Press
4983 Tall Oaks Drive
Fayetteville, New York 13066-9776